At LINDQUIST we understand that to make things that will last, we need to work with materials that age with grace.
We work only with artisans who take pride in producing the best leather on the market: raw materials that are made patiently, naturally, and with a commitment to excellence and sustainability at every stage of craft.
Our leather is fully vegetable-tanned using all natural tannins, a process that takes longer, and lasts longer. We also believe in working with artisans who respect not only the quality of their product, but also the impact of their process. We commit that we will always source our materials from those who demonstrate respect for the social, economic, and ecological impact of their work. We believe that our objects should last generations, and we know that to hand them down with pride to those that follow, we all need to produce and consume in a sustainable and ethical way.
Your LINDQUIST object will age alongside you. It will never crack or peel. Instead, it will develop the patina of an artisan object, revealing character capturing the story of how you use, carry, and wear it over years and decades.
Lindquist objects are set apart by the combined application of vachetta and milled leather in our designs. We love milled leather for its pebbled, textural warmth and lustrous quality. We love vachetta for its structural integrity and transformative potential. We use the two finishes in tandem throughout our collection to achieve architectural shapes without excessive weight.
Vachetta leather is a full grain, naturally processed leather distinguished by its smooth appearance. Because it is not treated with preservatives or chemicals, the leather will patina — changing, darkening and improving over time through contact with your hands and exposure to the elements. Although two raw vachetta bags may look similar in their nascent state, they will invariably become distinct as they age.
We developed our vachetta leather in collaboration with the 100-year old tannery from whom we source our leather and it is finished by hand, in house.
Milled Vegetable Tanned Leather
Our fully vegetable tanned milled leather is soft and supple, with a natural pebble from the tumbling process. At Lindquist we are committed to considering our resource consumption and designed our collection to use as much of every hide as possible, therefore you may notice variation across pieces in the size and form of the pebble.
- Protect from contact with acid and alcohol.
- Protect from direct light, heat, rain and snow. When storing your object, use your provided canvas tote to protect from humidity and sunlight.
- Do not use alcohol based cleansers or abrasive materials that can damage the texture of the leather or lift the finish of the natural dye.
- Every object is treated before it leaves our studio to weather against the elements. We recommend wearing your bag under a coat to try to protect from heavy rain, sleet and snow. If the leather does get wet, wipe with a clean, dry colorless cloth and allow it to dry. Do not use a heat source.
- To condition your object, we recommend a natural leather lotion or conditioner. Leather conditioner may also be used to blend stains and scratches and encourage the development of an even patina.